Make a Reservation for Salty's Seafood Grills >>> Click Here

SEATTLE — Alki Beach — 206-937-1600
DES MOINES — Redondo Beach — 253-946-0636
PORTLAND — Columbia River — 503-288-4444

Please know that our fabulous waterfront views are visible from virtually every seat in our restaurants, not just window seats. While we wish we could give everyone a window seat, they are first-come first-served! Holiday reservations must be made by telephone — we do not accept online reservations for Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's & Father's Day, Thanksgiving or New Year's. Please call for parties of 11 or more. On weekends we serve brunch, not lunch at most our locations.

The History of Salty's on the Columbia River, Portland

Salty's Landmark Restaurants: Columbia River, Portland History

Salty's on the Columbia River has been a landmark Portland restaurant and a locals' favorite waterfront seafood restaurant and café-bar from the time of its opening in October of 1987. It opened as the second Salty's seafood-focused restaurant in Portland. The first Salty's restaurant, Salty Pickerel's and Angus McHereford's, was located on the Willamette River near the east end of the Sellwood Bridge. It opened in February of 1978 and closed in November of 1991.

The building housing the landmark Salty's restaurant on the Columbia River originally opened as Bart's Wharf in 1961 (see photo). It, too, was known as a Portland landmark restaurant. Salty's owners purchased the building and land from the family of its founder, Bart Woodyard. Bart's Wharf had been operating for nearly three decades by Bart's son, Perry, when it closed in 1986. Salty's did extensive remodeling before reopening in 1987. A bar was added upstairs and wraparound outdoor decks with fabulous riverfront views were added upstairs and downstairs. The area is a boaters' paradise with several marinas adjacent to Salty's providing easy access to the Mighty Columbia River.

Photos: Columbia River, Portland History

  • Portland
  • Saltys
  • Saltys

Seattle and Portland Best Waterfront Seafood Restaurants