Winter Squash Fritters
1/2 spaghetti squash, steamed until soft
1/2 teaspoon salt kosher
1 pinch dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon thyme, fresh chopped fine
1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
2 each eggs whole
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
- Cut squash in half and steam until fork tender.
- Let squash cool. Remove the seeds and then scrape out into bowl.
- Add salt, mustard, thyme, cheese, eggs and milk.
- In a separate bowl sift flour and baking powder together.
- Heat fryer or frying oil to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour into squash mixture one cup at a time and fold with hands not to over mix.
- Spoon 1 fritter into oil and cook turning until golden brown (about 90 seconds)
- Let fritter drain on paper towel lined dish and then open to make sure it is cooked through. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
- Fry all the fritters in stages and serve hot.