Manila Clams Pasta with bucatini, roasted hubbard squash, preserved lemon, smashed tomatoes
2 pounds Manila clams
2 ounces butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon minced preserved lemon, seeds removed
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup smashed tomatoes (recipe follows)
1 pound roasted Blue Hubbard Squash (recipe follows)
1 pound bucatini, cooked al dente in salted boiling water
2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Soak clams in tap water for 5 minutes. Rinse and drain. Repeat 2 more times. Reserve.
- In a sautÃ© pan, heat the butter, olive oil, shallot and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until glossy, do not brown.
- Over high heat add clams.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half.
- Cover and steam until shellfish opens, about 3 minutes.
- Pull out shellfish and reserve.
- Reduce the liquid by half, add tomatoes, squash, preserved lemon cooked pasta, reserved shellfish, and parsley.
- Toss until well blended. Serve immediately.
Ingredients for Smashed Tomatoes
6 medium Roma tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions for Smashed Tomatoes
- Rough chop Roma tomatoes and place in a bowl.
- Toss with kosher salt and allow to sit for 1 hour to soften and lose excess liquid.
- Strain tomatoes of liquid and set aside (discard juice).
Roasted Blue Hubbard Squash
Ingredients for Roasted Blue Hubbard Squash
1# peeled and seeded Blue Hubbard Squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Roasted Blue Hubbard Squash
- Dice peeled and seeded squash into 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch cubes.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and place in a 425 degree F. oven for 15 minutes or until well browned and cooked al dente.