Dungeness Crab Corn Chowder
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup potato, peeled and chopped
3 ears of corn, shucked and corn removed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 shot brandy
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon crab base
1 cup cream
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 pound crab meat
1 pinch salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat add oil and sautÃ© celery, onion and potato until onion is translucent.
- Add tomato paste and garlic and cook until caramelized.
- Add brandy and cook until evaporated.
- Add water and simmer 12 minutes.
- Add crab base, cream and bay leaf and cook 25 minutes on low heat.
- In a sautÃ© pan over medium high heat add butter and flour and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add mixture to chowder whisking until well combined.
- Add corn kernels and simmer until thick.
- Add crab meat and finish with salt to taste.
Chef's note: This crab chowder is great with oyster crackers or a little hot sauce!