Candied blue hubbard squash with squash chips, mascarpone and pistachio
Ingredients for Candied Squash
1 each small blue hubbard squash (3-4 pounds)
4 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
Directions for Candied Squash
- Cut the squash in half and deseed.
- Carefully peel one of the halves.
- Cut the peeled half into wedges approximately 4 inches long by 1.5 inches thick.
- Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute and then add the vanilla bean.
- Place the squash slices in the vanilla syrup (make sure they are fully submerged) and keep at a gentle simmer.
- Keep in mind that you want to handle the squash as little as possible to help maintain its integrity.
- Allow the squash to cook for approximately 25 minutes until it is cooked through and candied but still is retaining its shape.
- Remove the squash (keep it in the syrup mixture) from the heat an allow it to cool on your countertop.
- Once it has cooled place it in the refrigerator and hold until needed.
Ingredients for the Squash Chips
Unpeeled half of the blue hubbard squash, cut in half again
6 cups vegetable or canola oil
Sea salt to taste
Directions for the Squash Chips
- Preferably using a mandolin slice the squash paper thin into 4 inch long slices.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F. over medium high heat in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Taking care not to overcrowd the oil, place the slices of cut squash into the oil and fry until crispy and light brown.
- Remove from the oil and place onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Season with salt and set aside.
Ingredients for Finishing the Dish
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup toasted pistachios (Sicilian if possible)
Directions for Finishing the Dish
- Dollop or smear a generous amount of mascarpone on each plate.
- Artfully place a wedge of the candied squash.
- Garnish with a generous amount of the squash chips.
- Finish the plate with a few pistachios as garnish.