Carrot Cake with Caramelized White Chocolate Mousse, Pineapple Orange Compote, Toasted Pecan, Maple Syrup
Carrot Sponge Cake Recipe
1 3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup carrot puree, cooled (4 large carrots boiled or steamed until very soft and pureed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine and sift flour, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whip eggs with sugar until light and fluffy or about tripled in volume.
- Carefully fold in the cooled carrot puree, followed by the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into a butter and floured 9-inch x 13-inch cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once removed from the oven allow cake to cool in the pan until it reaches room temperature.
Caramelized White Chocolate and Mousse Recipe
3/8 cup caramelized white chocolate
1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin powder
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 3/4 cup whipped cream
- First, make the caramelized white chocolate: Chop 1 cup white chocolate and melt over a double boiler. Once melted, pour chocolate onto a parchment- or silpat-lined sheet pan. Bake in a 260 degree oven for about an hour and 20 minutes, making sure to stir every 10 minutes or so. The chocolate will get grainy but will eventually smooth out and become a dark caramel color. If it doesn't smooth out, it will when added to warm cream below.
- Bloom gelatin in 2 tablespoons of cold water and reserve.
- In medium saucepan over low heat add one-half cup whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and egg yolks until mixture has thickened slightly and coats back of a spoon. Strain this mixture and then add caramelized white chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Add gelatin mixture to the cooked cream mixture. Place cream cheese in medium bowl. Pour cream mixture over cream cheese. Switch to a whisk and whisk mixture until very smooth and no lumps remain.
- Whip 1 3/4 cup whipping cream and fold into cream mixture.
- Pour the mousse mixture over the cake, still in the pan, and then level it off with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
Pineapple Orange Compote Recipe
1 golden pineapple peeled, cored and finely diced
1 vanilla bean, scraped and seeds removed
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups toasted pecan pieces
1 cup orange sections, chopped
1 teaspoon orange zest
pinch of salt
lemon juice to taste
- Combine the first 5 ingredients and bring to a simmer,
- Remove from heat and allow infusing for 1 hour. Remove vanilla bean.
- Gently fold the remaining ingredients together and refrigerate at least 1 hour to infuse all flavors.
- To serve, gently warm compote and spoon close to edge of a dessert plate. Cut cake into squares and place on center of plate. Enjoy!