Rhubarb Tarte Tatin with Strawberry Gel, Fennel Seed Crumble, Whipped Mascarpone
Rhubarb Tarte Tatin Recipe
1 pound rhubarb stalks, washed, dried and cut into 2 inch pieces.
1 stick unsalted butter, soft
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 sheet puff pastry, cut into a circle slightly larger than the pan using to cook the fruit
whipped mascarpone, recipe follows
strawberry fruit gel, recipe follows
fennel seed crumble, recipe follows
brown sugar syrup, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a heavy bottom frying pan or cast-iron skillet, liberally smear or brush butter to coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Cover the butter with the sugar in an even layer and cook over medium heat until the sugar starts to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
- Carefully add the rhubarb and continue to cook over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Dock the pastry with a fork and place over the fruit, be sure to tuck in the edges of the dough.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool 20 minutes.
- Once cool take a plate the same diameter of the pan and invert the plate onto the pastry. Secure the plate with your hand and flip the tart onto the plate in one quick motion.
- To serve cut tarte Tatin and place piece on dessert plate. Scoop a dollop of Whipped Mascarpone and place next to tarte. Place a few pieces of Strawberry Fruit Gel on plate. Drizzle Brown Sugar Syrup over everything and sprinkle with Fennel Seed Crumble.
Strawberry Fruit Gel Recipe
12 large strawberries
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cold water
1 1/4 teaspoon Knox gelatin powder
Chop and puree strawberries. Place in small saucepan over low heat and add brown sugar. Cook until sugar has dissolved; remove from heat. Place cold water in small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over top; allow water to absorb the gelatin and then add to strawberry mixture, stirring until gelatin has completely melted. Pour into container and refrigerate 24 hours. To serve cut, spoon or use a melon baller to remove gel and use as garnish.
Fennel Seed Crumble Recipe
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly toasted
1 stick butter, chilled and cut into pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of a food processor combine all of the ingredients. Pulse the mixture until pea size lumps are formed. Spread on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to completely cool before use.
Brown Sugar Syrup Recipe
1 cup packed brown sugar (or muscavado if possible)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Simmer until slightly thickened, cool and reserve.
Whipped Mascarpone Recipe
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup powder sugar
1 cup heavy cream
In a bowl of a mixer or with a handheld mixer, whip mascarpone and sugar until well combined. Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream, making sure to scrape the bowl. Once incorporated, continue to whip until stiff peaks are formed.