Pumpkin Bavarious with Thyme Roasted Pear, Orange Sabayon with Pumpkin Seed Crumble
Pumpkin Sponge Cake
1 3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat over 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine and sift flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine eggs and sugar until light and fluffy or about tripled in volume. Carefully fold in pumpkin puree followed by dry ingredients.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch x 13-inch cake pan. Pour batter into pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in the pan until it reaches room temperature.
2 teaspoons gelatin powder
1 cup + 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree, divided
3/8 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Bloom gelatin in 3 tablespoons ice cold water for about 10 minutes or until very soft. Squeeze out excess water and reserve.
- In the top bowl of double boiler over simmering water add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and stir until warm.
- Add the gelatin. Heat until the gelatin melts completely and remove from heat.
- Add remaining pumpkin puree, stir well, remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Whip the cream to medium stiff peaks and fold into the cooled pumpkin.
- Frost the top of cooled Pumpkin Sponge Cake and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
Thyme Roasted Pears
2 bosc pears peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 lemon zest and juice
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons pear nectar or pear liqueur
3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small roasting dish combine all ingredients and toss well.
- Roast pears about 20-25 minutes or until tender; tossing every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from oven and reserve at room temperature.
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
6 tablespoons butter
- In the top of a double boiler over gently boiling water combine all ingredients and whisk by hand 4-6 minutes or until thick and creamy and temperature reaches 170 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and place pan in an ice bath and continue to whisk 4-6 more minutes until mixture is cool.
Pumpkin Seed Crumble
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons cake flour
2/3 cup almond meal flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, cream butter and sugar on medium speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except pumpkin seeds and mix on lowest speed until the dough just comes together, mix seeds in by hand.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, break the dough into small even pieces and bake at 350 degrees F until light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and break or crush into desired size.
- To serve place a generous smear of orange sabayon on center of plate.
- Place slice of cake on top. Spoon thyme-roasted pears onto side and sprinkle with pumpkin seed crumble.