Chocolate Pastry Cream Ingredients
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 and 1/4 cups baker's sugar
1/3 cup 2% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 1/3 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup gelatin, plain
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
3 ounces chocolate
1 1/3 cup heavy cream
Puff pastry Sheets, 1 package, cut 4x6
- Mix the first six ingredients with a paddle in a mixer for 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- Follow the directions on the package for the gelatin, and then add the prepared gelatin to the first six ingredients of the pastry cream, mix for 30 seconds and set aside.
- Fill a pot half full of water and bring to a simmer.
- Place a metal bowl on top of the pot; place the chocolate in the bowl with the heavy cream.
- Heat the cream and chocolate together until all the chocolate is melted and incorporated with the cream.
- To assemble, lay down one sheet of the puff pastry and spread pastry cream on the puff pastry, about 1/2 inch thick, then top with a piece of puff pastry.
- Repeat this step four more times putting each layer on top of the next.
- On the top piece, pour the ganache over the puff pastry.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to cool and set before serving, about two hours.