Eileen Mintz's Prize-Winning Chocolate Chip Rugelach
1 cup butter, softened, unsalted
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups of unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- To make the dough, mix butter and cream cheese together in an electric mixer until blended.
- Add other sugar, then vanilla and rum extract, cream well.
- Then add flour.
- Take out of bowl and form into 5 equal pieces and flatten with hand to form a patty.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4 teaspoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
1 12-ounce package of dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup of toasted, chopped pecans toast in a 325 degree oven until lightly browned)
3 tablespoons of instant coffee crystals Sanka)
1/2 cup sugar
- Have handy: oil and pastry brush, cinnamon and sugar mixture in a bowl 1/2 cup sugar and one tablespoon of cinnamon) and parchment paper.
- Lay out 2 cookie sheets and line with parchment paper.
- Crush all the filling ingredients in a food processor.
- Add cool melted butter.
- Mix again and set aside.
- Take 2 patties at a time from refrigerator and leave out for 10 minutes.
- Roll to about an 8-inch circle.
- Brush lightly with vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar evenly and cut into 10 wedges if you want them larger, cut less wedges).
- Add 1 heaping regular teaspoon of chocolate chip filling on edge and roll up like a crescent.
- Lay out on parchment-covered cookie sheet and brush tops with a little oil and sprinkle again lightly with sugar and cinnamon.
- Fill the cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until browned to a medium toasted color.
- Cool on racks. Freezes well.