Jane's "Killer Chocolate Kake"
6 ounces unsalted butter
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Mix cake by hand (electric mixers beat in too much air).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9â€ by 1-1/2â€ cake tins and line bottoms with wax or parchment paper.
- Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, whisk together for 1 minute the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Whisk in the butter-chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the flour and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 -35 minutes.
- Do not over bake. cake tester should come out clean. Cool on racks and remove from pans as soon as cooled.
- Wrap the layers well if not using the same day.
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoon instant coffee
1 cup heavy cream
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
4 ounces unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, coffee and cream in a deep, heavy saucepan.
- Stirring, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 6 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat.
- Add unsweetened chocolate and stir until melted and blended.
- Add the butter and vanilla. Whisk well.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken. If made the day before, bring back to room temperature and beat until spreading consistency is smooth.
- Put one cake layer bottom side up on a cake plate.
- Spread with 1/3 of the frosting. Top with second layer, also bottom side up.
- Trim excess crusty protrusions so it is smooth and can be frosted evenly.
- Pour all but 1/2 cup of the frosting on top of cake, spreading it over top and then sides.
- Put the reserved icing into a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip and pipe 16 rosettes around the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate if not serving immediately, but bring to room temperature before serving.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.