Caramel Hazelnut Tart
3 tablespoons hazelnuts, ground
1 cup vanilla Wafer cookies, ground
1 and 1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl combine all ingredients and mix well by hand until crumbly and dough holds together when squeezed.
- Press evenly into a thin crust in individual pie tins.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
Pastry Cream Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
3 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Gelatin
1/2 cup corn starch
4 egg yolks
Pastry Cream Directions
- In small saucepan over medium-high heat combine sugar and water.
- Cook until mixture becomes thick and looks like caramel.
- Whisk in milk and vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, bloom gelatin in cold water. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine cornstarch, egg yolks and salt. mix well.
- When caramel mixture comes to a boil, temper with the egg mixture â€“
- Tempering 101: To â€œtemperâ€ means you want to bring the temperature of the cold mixture to the same temperature as the hot mixture. So, add a little bit of hot mixture to the cold mixture and whisk so you do not scramble the eggs!) until it is warm enough to add it all together.
- Then combine the egg mixture into the caramel mixture and whisk until thick.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add gelatin and stir well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in a warm place until skin starts to form.
- Chill and then scoop into baked tart shells.