Serrano Ham-Wrapped Monkfish with bean stew, fire-roasted green tomatoes
12 ounces monkfish, cleaned
4 ounces serrano ham, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
4 cups bean stew (recipe follows)
1 cup fire-roasted green tomato (recipe follows)
- Wrap the monkfish with 1 layer of the serrano ham and season with black pepper.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat large fry pan to medium heat.
- Unwrap monkfish. Add oil to pan and sear on every side until serrano ham is crispy.
- Place monkfish on sheet pan and place in oven and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice thin with a sharp knife.
- Top with charred tomatoes and serve bean stew on the side.
Makes 4 cups
Bean Stew Ingredients
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 each piquillo peppers, pureed
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 cans white beans
1 quart chicken broth, low sodium
2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
salt to taste
Bean Stew Directions
- Heat large saucepan to medium heat.
- Add onion and oil and cook until onions are caramelized about 20 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add peppers, bay leaves, paprika, beans and chicken broth.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Before serving remove bay leaves and finish by stirring in butter and seasoning with salt to taste.
Fire-Roasted Green Tomatoes
Makes 2 cups
Fire-Roasted Green Tomatoes Ingredients
3 medium-size green tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
3 sprigs sage, chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fire-Roasted Green Tomatoes Directions
- Heat outdoor grill to high heat.
- Rub the tomatoes with olive oil, place on grill and cook until skin is charred.
- Cool to room temperature and finely chop tomatoes.
- Mix with remaining ingredients and keep at room temperature for serving.