Pan Seared Halibut Medallions with Kumquat Butter
4 filets fresh halibut, cut into 2oz pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup kumquat butter (recipe follows)
1/2 bunch chervil or Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat large fry pan to medium high heat.
- Lay out halibut on a side plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to pan and place the halibut in the pan. (Make sure not to crowd the pan with too many pieces)
- Sear until golden brown on either side then place in a separate oven safe serving dish.
- Top with butter and place in oven until melted.
- Finish with chopped chervil.
Makes 1/2 cup
1 small shallot, minced
10 each kumquats, cut in half, seeded, and chopped fine
1 1/2 sticks butter, unsalted
2 sprigs thyme, chopped
3 sprigs chives, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or mixer. Blend until all ingredients are mixed well.
CHEFâ€™S TIP: great on bread, chicken, all fish and sandwiches!