Pancetta-wrapped Halibut with Sauce Puttanesca
3 pounds Roma tomatoes
2 gallons water
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
6 ounces chopped red onion
4 tablespoons garlic, minced
6 ounces Kalamata olives, halved
4 tablespoons capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons anchovy, minced
1 and 1/2 cups white wine
1/4 bunch basil, chopped
1 pinch salt to taste
2 pounds spaghetti or noodles, cooked
3 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large pot.
- Have a bowl of ice water ready.
- Take each tomato and cut an X in the bottom.
- Place the tomatoes in the boiling water for 5 minutes then place in the ice water.
- After the tomatoes are chilled, peel the skin off, then cut each in half and remove the seeds.
- Rough chop the tomatoes.
- In a large sauce pan add the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion for 3 minutes then add the garlic, olives, capers, and anchovy.
- Add the white wine and cook until you cannot smell any alcohol.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes more or until soft.
- Finish the sauce with fresh basil and salt to taste.
- When plating the dish heat the sauce with the noodles and top with parmesan cheese.
Pair halibut with a light sauce, nothing too heavy.
2 8-ounce fresh Alaskan Halibut fillets
1 dash of pepper
2 ounces pancetta, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season each halibut fillet lightly with pepper.
- Wrap each fillet with pancetta and make sure the pancetta is not overlapping.
- In a sautÃ© pan add the oil and heat to medium high.
- Sear the halibut on one side and flip.
- Place the halibut in the oven for 5 minutes.
Recipe Notes: Use bacon or prosciutto in place of the pancetta if you like. If you are counting carbs serve this dish without the pasta. Any extra sauce can be saved for eating cold or hot.
Cooking Tips on Halibut: When you buy halibut, make sure it is fresh and not bruised. Do not overcook Halibut. It is better to undercook and let it rest it shouldn't be dry). Pair halibut with a light sauce, nothing too heavy.