Achiote-Rubbed Grilled Lobster
with Spring Onion Pico De Gallo
Ingredients for Lobster
2 each 8 to 10-ounce Brazilian lobster tails
1/2 cup achiote rub (recipe follows)
1 cup spring onion pico de gallo (recipe follows)
Directions for Lobster
- Thaw lobster tails and then split in half all the way down the middle (making 4 pieces).
- Pull meat partially out of shell and then rub everywhere with achiote rub.
- Place the meat back in the shell and then rub the entire lobster tails again with the achiote rub.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before grilling.
- Grease your grill very well and place split lobster tails on the grill meat side first. Cook for 3-6 minutes depending on heat and then turn over and finish cooking.
- Place lobster tails on plate and then spoon pico de gallo all over the plate.
Chef's Tip: This is best served with Spanish rice, tortillas or beans!
Ingredients for Achiote Rub
2 tablespoons achiote paste
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch cumin, ground
pinch coriander, ground
1/2 lemon zested
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup canola oil
Directions for Achiote Rub
- Mix all the spices in a bowl and crumble up achiote paste with the back of a fork.
- Add canola oil and let sit for 5 minutes. Break up paste again and repeat process until mix is vibrant red.
Chef's Tip: This is a great marinade for chicken, beef and veggies.
Spring Onion Pico De Gallo
Spring Onion Pico De Gallo Ingredients
4 spring onions or 1 bunch, cut in half lengthwise
2 medium shallots, cut in half
1 jalapeÃ±o, cut in half
1 teaspoon coriander, toasted and ground
1 lemon, juiced
salt to taste
Spring Onion Pico De Gallo Directions
- Turn barbecue to high or light up your coals.
- Place spring onions over direct flame and cook until charred on one side then flip over and repeat.
- Remove onions and place in bowl.
- Place shallots and jalapeÃ±o on grill and cook until charred on one side then flip over and repeat.
- Place in bowl with onions and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let cool at room temperature.
- Chop the spring onions, shallot, and jalapeÃ±o (remove seeds if you are heat sensitive) the same size and put into a bowl.
- Add toasted coriander, lemon juice and salt to taste. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Check for more salt or lemon juice before serving.
Chef's Tip: great on steaks, chicken and tacos!