3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 stalks lemongrass, 3 layers removed
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 can 13.5 ounces coconut milk
3 tablespoons green Thai curry paste
2 pounds mussels, rinse, debeard and discard open or cracked mussels
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
4 slices country bread, toasted
- In a large sauce pot with a lid over medium high heat melt butter. Cut 2 inches off root end of lemongrass and about 6 inches off other end.
- Pound the lemongrass with back end of knife to bruise it.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Add lemongrass, garlic and ginger to melted butter and cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Whisk in coconut milk and curry paste, stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Add mussels, stir to combine, cover and reduce heat to medium high. Cook 5 minutes or until mussels open.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve in bowls along with toasted country bread.
Note: Be sure to discard any mussels that didn’t open or that open slightly but refuse to budge without much force.