Chorizo Baked Mussels with Aged White Cheddar and Garlic Butter
1 pound Mediterranean mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
4 ounces chorizo sausage
1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
1/4 cup celery, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
1/4 cup white cheddar, shredded
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 cups rock salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add 1 inch of cold water to medium sauce pan. Place on burner on high heat. Add cleaned mussels, cover and steam about 2 minutes or until mussels just pop open. Remove from heat. Drain. Separate shells into 2 pieces and discard one side. Place shell with mussel on a cloth to cool.
- In a saute pan over medium heat add chorizo. Break up into very small pieces and cook 6 minutes. Remove from heat and drain on paper towel.
- In same sauce pan over medium heat add onion, celery, garlic, paprika and thyme. Cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add wine and allow wine to cook off completely. Add cooked chorizo back into onion mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl combine both cheeses. Add melted butter and toss to combine. Mixture should just hold together.
- In an ovenproof pan with 2-inch sides, add rock salt. Arrange cooled mussels in their shell in pan. Top each mussel with 1 spoonful of chorizo mixture. Top with a good pinch of cheese mixture. Refrigerate 30-60 minutes. Place pan in oven and cook 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.