Fried Oysters Rockefeller in the Half Shell
Ingredients for Breaded Oysters Rockefeller
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups loosely packed fresh spinach, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 cup mascarpone
24 fresh oysters, shucked, left in the half shell, topped with spinach mix and breaded (breading procedure to follow)
1 quart canola or vegetable oil
1 pound rock salt
Directions for Breaded Oysters Rockefeller
- Heat olive oil and butter in large sautÃ© over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach to garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Deglaze with Pernod, add heavy cream, fennel seed and hot sauce.
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix in mascarpone until well incorporated and chill mixture thoroughly.
- Top oysters with spinach mixture and bread according to instructions.
- Heat 1 quart canola or vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
- Fry oysters in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Place rock salt on a large serving tray and top with the oysters.
- Serve with cocktail forks, lemons and cocktail sauce if desired.
Ingredients for Breading Procedure
2 cups all purpose flour, placed in individual shallow sided pan
3 eggs plus 1/2 cup milk, whisked, placed in individual shallow sided pan
2 cups panko breadcrumbs plus 1 cup ground Parmesan cheese, mixed together and placed in individual shallow sided pan
Directions for Oysters Rockefeller Breading
- Once chilled place 1 tablespoon of spinach mixture atop each oyster on the half shell and gently dip into to flour.
- Make sure to gently coat the entire oyster in flour, taking care to dust off any excess flour.
- Next dip the oyster into the egg wash to coat completely.
- Finally place the oyster into the panko breadcrumbs, taking care to coat completely.
- Once all the oysters have been breaded refrigerate for 4-6 hours before frying.