Makes 3 cups
1 loaf artisanal bread (preferably not dense)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
6 cracks black pepper
- With a bread knife remove the dark crust of the bread while keeping the loaf intact.
- Using your hands, tear the bread into little pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle half the oil on the outside of the bread without pouring on top of the bread.
- Fold the bread into the olive oil.
- Repeat this step until the olive oil is absorbed.
- Toss the bread with the salt and the black pepper and then place evenly on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 7 minutes.
- Pull from oven and stir on the sheet pan keeping it evenly distributed.
- Put in the oven for a remaining 5 minutes or until the croutons are crisp.
- Remove and let cool fully.
Chef's Tip: Add chopped chives, parsley, thyme or ground Parmesan cheese for an extra kick!