Alder-Roasted Salmon with Pickled Blueberries, Fingerling Potatoes and Watercress Salad
4 each 6-ounce salmon portions
untreated alder-wood plank (cedar okay)
Salty's Seasoning Salt
pickled blueberries, recipe follows
fingerling potatoes, roasted
watercress, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Soak the alder plank in water for 6 hours before using to avoid catching on fire.
- Season salmon with Salty’s Seasoning Salt and place on plank. Roast in oven for 6 minutes and then flip salmon over.
- Roast an additional 4 minutes or until 130 degrees internal temperature is reached.
- To serve, place a spoonful of pickled blueberries on top of roasted salmon along with your favorite roasted fingerling potatoes and a small salad of watercress that is lightly dressed with lemon juice, olive oil and a pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper.
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 shallot, peeled and diced
pinch kosher salt
1 cup red wine
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
large sprig fresh thyme
cheesecloth as needed
- Using a small piece of cheesecloth, make a sachet containing the peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme.
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, add shallots, red wine, red wine vinegar, salt, sugar and herb sachet. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat to medium and allow liquid to reduce by 3/4ths. This should take approximately 25-30 minutes. Mixture should have a slightly syrupy consistency.
- Add blueberries and allow them to gently simmer for 5 minutes or until they soften and release their liquid. Be gentle to keep the berries whole and intact.
- Remove from heat and remove herb sachet. Cool berry mixture for 30 minutes.