Citrus and Almond Olive Oil Cake with Macerated Nectarines and Blueberries
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 3/4 cups milk
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup sliced almonds, for sprinkling on batter
macerated nectarines and blueberries, recipe follows
1/4 cup powdered sugar, garnish
vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk together olive oil, milk, sugar, eggs and zest. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and sift. Combine the sifted dry ingredients and almond meal into the wet mixture and whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Pour batter into a sprayed or buttered cake pan, bundt pan or baking dish, making sure the batter only fills the dish halfway up to prevent overflow. Sprinkle the top of the batter with sliced almonds and bake 45-55 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it. Let cool completely.
Macerated Nectarines and Blueberries
3 ripe nectarines
1/2 pint blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon vanilla seeds, optional
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon water
- Cut the nectarines into large cubes and then toss them with the remaining ingredients and let sit at room temperature for at least an hour stirring every 20 minutes.
- To serve place a slice of cake on plate, scoop nectarines and blueberries on side. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.