Lomi Lomi Salmon with tomato, sweet onion, scallion, macadamia nut, butter lettuce
Serves 4 as an appetizer
6 ounces salmon belly, cured and diced
1/8 cup cup red Hawaiian sea salt
1/8 cup kosher salt
1/8 cup sugar
4 green onion stalks, finely chopped
1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup roma tomato, finely chopped
3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
Butter lettuce leaves
Passion Fruit Habanero Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Drizzle of Sweet Soy Sauce - you can find in Asian section at grocery store
- Combine sea salt, kosher salt and sugar in small bowl. Rub both sides of salmon with salt and sugar combo.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place something heavy( I used a brick!) on top of salmon to weight it down and refrigerate overnight. Unwrap and rinse well.
- In a medium bowl combine green onion, sweet onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, macadamia nuts and combine well. Add salmon belly and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Drizzle vinaigrette and sweet soy on serving plate. Large dollop of lomi lomi on top and serve butter lettuce leaves on side so lomi lomi can be scooped up and eaten in leaf.
Passion Fruit Habanero Vinaigrette
1/4 cup passion fruit puree, freezer section of most grocery stores
1/4 cup canola oil
1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1/2 habanero, seeded and finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and whisk until well combined.