Smoked Salmon Rillette
Serves 4 as appetizer
8 ounces salmon belly, steamed
4 tablespoons crème fraiche
2 tablespoons shallot, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 lemon juice and zest
1 tablespoon chives, minced
4 ounces Gerard and Dominique Smoked Salmon Lox, diced
clarified butter, for sealing
The Goodies, recipe follows
- Set up a pan with a steamer rack in bottom. Add 2 cups water and bring to a simmer. Place salmon on top of rack, cover and steam 8 minutes. Remove from pan and cool.
- In a small saute pan over medium heat add butter, shallots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until softened about 3-4 minutes. But don’t let them brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine steamed salmon, crème fraiche, sauted shallots, lemon juice and zest, chives and smoked salmon lox. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until you get a smooth, spreadable consistency. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Transfer salmon mixture to ramekins leaving half an inch of space at top. In a small sauce pan over medium heat heat clarified butter until melted. Pour half inch layer of clarified butter over each ramekin and refrigerate one hour.
- To serve remove and discard the butter seal. Place ramekin on serving plate along with a small bowl of The Goodies and crackers.
1 tablespoon gherkins, chopped
1 tablespoon pickled onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Castlvetrano olives, chopped
1 tablespoon caper berries, chopped
Splash of olive oil
- In a small mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Serve alongside Salmon Rillette.