Beurre Rouge (red wine beurre blanc)
Makes 1 cup
1/2 bottle red wine
1 small shallot, sliced
2 sprigs thyme
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, whole
2 bay leaves
1/2 pound butter, unsalted
salt to taste
- Pour wine into medium sauce-pan with shallot, thyme, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until there is barely any liquid remaining.
- Cub butter into 1/4-inch squares.
- Turn heat to low and add 1 square. Let it melt while stirring regularly.
- Repeat until all butter is incorporated.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and then season with salt.
- Keep in a warm place before serving.
Chef's Tip: Great on steaks or chicken!