Salty's Sauce ProvenÃ§al
1/2 sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups white wine
3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, extra ripe and chopped
4 leaves basil, chopped
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
salt, to taste
- In a large pot add the onion, garlic and wine.
- Bring to a boil and then add the tomatoes and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let tomatoes cook until they break down. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the tomatoes slightly.
- When tomatoes are mashed up, finish with basil, fennel, thyme, olive oil and salt to taste.
- Try this sauce on pastas, fish, chicken or grilled bread.