Scallops with Sea Urchin Butter
6 U-10 dry pack scallops (U-10 means under 10 per-pound)
1 tablespoon canola Oil
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoon Uni butter (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon Tobiko
- Rinse scallops and pat dry.
- Season scallops liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium size fry pan to medium high heat.
- Place canola oil in pan and then sear the scallops on either side about 4-6 minutes per side. If the oil smokes turn down to medium.
- Pull saute pan away from heat and top with butter.
- Serve in a dish or on a plate with your choice of sides and then spoon melted butter over the top.
- Garnish with Tobiko. Tobiko is flying fish roe and you can find it in the sushi area.
Uni Butter Ingredients
1/2 stick or 1/4 pound butter, softened at room temperature
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 pieces 1 ounce of fresh Uni or sea urchin roe, chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon green onion chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt