Salt Crusted Prawns with Pico De Gallo
1 pound 21/25 prawns, peeled and deveined
4 each egg whites, whisked for 3 minutes
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, mild course ground (can substitute kosher)
5 grinds on your pepper mill
2 cups canola oil
2 cups pico de gallo (recipe follows)
- Clean prawns and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in separate bowl then pour over prawns and let sit.
- In yet another bowl add flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- In sauce pan heat canola oil to 375 degrees. (NOTE: make sure the oil is half full up the pan because when you add the prawns the oil will expand.)
- Dredge the prawns in the cornstarch batter and fry in the oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the prawns on a paper towel.
- Place the pico de gallo on a large plate and then stack prawns on top.
Pico De Gallo
(makes 2 cups)
3 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
1 small sweet onion, chopped fine
1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, seeded and chopped fine
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
1 pinch cumin
1 pinch smoked paprika (optional)
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tablespoon kosher Salt
- Add ingredients together.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- Check seasoning before serving.