Colossal Prawn Scampi with Toasted Baguette
20 each Colossal prawns
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon shallot, minced
1/2 cup white wine
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
1/4 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon dill, chopped
1 pinch salt to taste
1 baguette, cut in half lengthwise
- Peel, devein and rinse prawns.
- Pat dry.
- Place prawns on plate and season with salt.
- Measure remaining ingredients into separate small bowls.
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise and place open on baking sheet in oven right before starting the scampi.
- Heat a medium-size fry pan to medium-high heat.
- Add oil and prawns. Sear until prawns start to turn pink (about 3 minutes.)
- Add garlic and shallots.
- Cook until they start to toast.
- Add wine and cook until you cannot smell the alcohol (about 2 minutes.)
- Lower heat and add butter, lemon juice, herbs and salt to taste.
- Stir until butter melts.
- Cut baquette in half so it is now quartered), place on plate and spoon sauce onto bread.
- Arrange prawns on baguette and pour another spoonful of sauce over the top.
- Garnish with lemon and parsley.