Purple Potato Croquette
3 pounds purple potatoes, peeled and cut into half-inch chunks
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
salt, to taste
1 cup flour
2 eggs, whisked
4 cups bread crumbs
2 cups oil, for frying
- Peel the purple potatoes revealing the dark purple center.
- Then cut the potatoes into half-inch size pieces.
- Fill a large pot with 3/4 cup water and add 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook until fork tender. Strain for 5 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes and season with salt.
- Let the potatoes cool to room temperature and then form into 3-ounce size balls.
- Roll balls in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and place on parchment paper and put in the fridge.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F. and then deep fry for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and hot in the middle.
- The croquettes can be served as balls but are also great if you smash them slightly with the back of a spoon!