1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon thyme, fresh chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoon shallot, minced
1/2 tablespoon salt, kosher
3 pounds potato, Yukon sliced 1/8th inch
1/2 tablespoon Butter
1 cup Gruyere or white cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl combine the cream, thyme, salt, and minced shallot and garlic.
- Taste and make sure it is a little salty. The potatoes will suck up the salt.
- Add sliced potatoes to the cream mixture.
- Grease a large casserole dish with the butter.
- Shingle the sliced potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Push down on the potatoes and make sure you have enough cream so it rises half way between your fingers.
- Stack potatoes until there is a 1/4 inch left in the top of the casserole dish.
- Clean the edges and wrap in foil.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
- Prick the center with toothpick to make sure the potatoes are cooked.
- Top with cheese and cook an additional 10 minutes with foil off.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.