Dungeness Crab Bisque with Fennel Pesto
Ingredients for Crab Bisque
2 each 2-pound Dungeness crabs, cooked
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 tablespoon peppercorns, whole black
1/4 teaspoon fennel whole
1 each bay leaf
1 1/2 cup white wine
1 quart water
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup calrose rice
salt to taste
Crab Bisque Directions
- Clean crab lungs and guts and then remove all meat out of crab reserving shells for soup.
- Heat a large sauce pot to medium heat.
- Add olive oil and crab shells and toast until red in color.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and tomato paste and toast for 3 minutes.
- Add peppercorns, fennel seed and bay leaf and toast for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook until alcohol odor is gone from the pan.
- Add water and simmer until water reduces by half. Skim the stock regularly with a ladle.
- Add cream and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Strain shells out of soup and then clean pot and replace soup back in pot.
- Add rice and cook until rice is soft.
- Strain rice out of soup and finish with half of the picked Dungeness crab and salt to taste.
Fennel Pesto Ingredients
1/2 bulb fennel
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
sprinkle of salt
3 grinds fresh pepper
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
1 tablespoon ground parmesan cheese
8 leaves basil, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
Fennel Pesto Directions
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle fennel with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Place on cookie sheet and roast in oven for 15 minutes or until fennel is charred and soft.
- Pull fennel from oven and place in refrigerator.
- On a large cutting board start chopping fennel bulb and pine nuts with a knife.
- Add parmesan cheese, basil, garlic and sea salt. Keep chopping until ingredients start to come together.
- Finish pesto with salt and olive oil.
Note: pesto should look rustic and not over-chopped.